What is Adaptive Clothing?
Adaptive clothing is designed for easier dressing which minimizes awkward movements, pain, discomfort and frustration. For caregivers and nursing home staff, it allows patients to be dressed with ease, reducing risk of injury. Adaptive clothing looks and feels like conventional clothing. The main difference is how the person is dressed. The clothing tends to be roomier, has elastic waistbands, uses snaps and is designed with larger openings. The clothing comes in a great selection and includes nightwear, dresses, pants and more.
WHY IS ADAPTIVE CLOTHING NEEDED?
Dressing is an important part of our lives. Looking nice promotes self-esteem leading to increased quality of life. Dressing someone who requires total assistance is physically and mentally stressful for both the patient and the caregiver. Adaptive clothing aims to reduce the physical strain and minimize the frustration for everyone.
What are the benefits of adaptive clothing?
• Minimizes awkward and painful movements
• Helps reduce emotional stress associated with being afraid of being moved
• Resident’s anxiety decreases when being positioned
• Maintains dignity – looks and feels like conventional clothing
• Durable – will withstand washing in industrial washers
• Reduces physical strain associated with patient handling during dressing
• Reduces dressing time
• Recommended method of dressing when patient requires mechanical lift
• Improves quality of life
• Reduces injuries
• Positive dressing experiences